Re: pl/pgsql oddity - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com
Subject Re: pl/pgsql oddity
Date
List pgsql-general
I prefer the FORTRAN66 construct

IF <condition> <label1> <label2> <label3>

where it jumps to label1 if <condition> is negative, label2 if zero, and
label3 if positive.  No else ifs about it.

I hope you realize I'm as kidding as I am obviously too old.

                      Michael Fuhr

                      <mike@fuhr.org>                To:       Geoffrey <esoteric@3times25.net>

                      Sent by:                       cc:       pgsql-general@postgresql.org

                      pgsql-general-owner@pos        Subject:  Re: [GENERAL] pl/pgsql oddity

                      tgresql.org

                      12/16/2004 01:16 PM

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 12:27:53PM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:

> I don't know of any other language that permits multiple spellings for
> the same construct.  I'd be concerned with starting such a precedent.

I'd be in favor of making it a bloody law that every bloody language
use the same bloody spelling.  I'm forever forgetting whether a
particular language uses ELSE IF, ELSEIF, ELSIF, or ELIF.  Grumble,
grumble, grumble....

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/