Concatenated VARCHAR becomes TEXT in view - Mailing list pgsql-general

From MargaretGillon@chromalloy.com
Subject Concatenated VARCHAR becomes TEXT in view
Date
List pgsql-general

I have a view which I use to populate list boxes on several input screens in Visual FoxPro for Windows. In the view I concatenate three varchar columns to make a new column. The concatenation works fine but the resulting column is a text column, which becomes a memo field in Visual FoxPro. Memos don't work well for list boxes. Is there any way to get the resulting column as a varchar or char field? My view command is below. I have tried changing the ::text to ::varchar but the outcome is the same.

I am using Postgresql 7.3 running on Redhat Linux 9.

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW vw_event_summary AS

 SELECT b.ltname, ((btrim((c.refullname )::text) || btrim((d.enname )::text)) || btrim((f.evname )::text)) AS evlinkname1, ((btrim((g.refullname )::text) || btrim((h.enname )::text)) || btrim((i.evname )::text)) AS evlinkname2, a.evid, a.evlinktype AS evltid, a.eventity1, a.evevent1, a.evresource1, a.eventity2, a.evevent2, a.evresource2
   FROM event a, linktype b, resource c, entity d, event f, resource g, entity h, event i
  WHERE (((((((a.evlinktype = b.ltid ) AND (a.evevent1 = f.evid )) AND (a.evevent2 = i.evid )) AND (a.evresource1 = c.reid )) AND (a.evresource2 = g.reid )) AND (a.eventity1 = d.enid )) AND (a.eventity2 = h.enid ));

ALTER TABLE vw_event_summary OWNER TO postgres;

Margaret Gillon, IS Dept., Chromalloy Los Angeles, ext. 297

This e-mail message and any attachment(s) are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary and/or confidential information which may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by reply email and destroy the original message and any copies of the message as well as any attachment(s) to the original message.