Re: Varchar concatenate fields as Char or Varchar, not Text - Mailing list pgsql-general

From MargaretGillon@chromalloy.com
Subject Re: Varchar concatenate fields as Char or Varchar, not Text
Date
List pgsql-general

"Uwe C. Schroeder" <uwe@oss4u.com> wrote on 08/07/2006 11:30:28 AM:

> Well, you cast all those fields to be concatenated to text. Why should the db
> make a varchar out of that? I seriously doubt that 7.x made a varchar of that
> - but then, 7.2 is very very old.
> So either cast your fields to varchar (i.e. c.refullname::varchar ||
> d.enname::varchar) or cast the result of the concatenation to a varchar.
>
> UC

I confirmed that 7.x created a varchar before I posted the question to the list. If you doubt my statment I will provide screen shots. I am still inexperienced with postgresql and am not sure what commands such as cast can do/are doing which is why I posted the question to get help. The view was written by another person. I did not know the concatenation result could be cast or I would not have asked the question.

Regards,
Margaret Gillon, IS Dept., Chromalloy Los Angeles, ext. 297

This e-mail message and any attachment(s) are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary and/or confidential information which may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by reply email and destroy the original message and any copies of the message as well as any attachment(s) to the original message.