Re: SQL server application porting headache - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Darley
Subject Re: SQL server application porting headache
Date
List pgsql-general
Oskar,
    Instead of changing the application or changing PostgreSQL internals, can't
you just change the table names to match the queries that are being used?
Or is the app creating tables as it runs or something?
Thanks,
Peter Darley

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of Oskar Berggren
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2002 12:31 PM
To: Curt Sampson
Cc: Tom Lane; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] SQL server application porting headache

Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Oskar Berggren wrote:
>

>>Thanks for your research! I appreciate it. Now at least I know why it
>>is like it is. Perhaps this is sufficient argument to get them to
>>correct their queries.
>

> Well, my research may be indicating that they are doing their queries
> this "stupid" way for a very good reason: they can't do them the correct
> way. (Well, they could probably use [] instead of "" in the WHERE
> clause, but that's hardly compatable with postgres!)

True. What I meant was for them to correct their queries in such a
way as to always use the correct capitalization. If you combine
that with a slightly hacked Postgres that is case sensitive even when
not using qoutes (which I hope won't have any bad unexpected side
effects) it Should(TM) work.

But now another idea comes to mind... Would it be hard to make the
parser recognize [] in the same way as ""?  That way you don't have
to meddle with the case sensitivity. But it still require modification
of all the queries.

> The correct solution is probably not to use mixed-case (or any-case)
> table names, so that no quoting is necessary. And I have a funny feeling
> I know what your developers are going to say when you ask them to change
> all of their table names....

The problem is even bigger; the developers aren't mine. This is software
from another company and I'm afraid they will say exactly what you
think they will say.

> BTW, I've asked the Windows admin at my company if we don't happen to
> have a copy of SQL Server kicking around, and maybe a server we could
> install it on. If that is the case, I'll have no problem doing more
> playing like this. If not, it's a bit tough, since I lose all access to
> e-mail and everything when I boot up windows on my machine.

I'm getting ready to give up and recommend to my bosses that we hire
a consultant to run the darn thing on Windows and SQL Server. Which
I suppose means that Microsoft has succeeded with their little strange
case-sensitivity trick. Anyway, I will talk to the head developer
at the company that made the application tomorrow and we'll see what
happens.

regards,
Oskar

--