From Frederic Thomas
Subject java.lang.NegativeArraySizeException at org.postgresql.jdbc1.AbstractJdbc1Statement.setBinaryStream()
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Hello,

I've the following code :

        ByteArrayInputStream    is = new
ByteArrayInputStream(str.getBytes());
        prepStatement.setBinaryStream(1, is, str.getBytes().length); // can
be UTF-8

assuming that prepStatement is a correct query that updates a row containing
a TEXT field, in column 1, and str represents a Unicode string to store in
this TEXT field. When running this exact code with PostgreSQL 7.2 driver
using the "?compatible=7.1" switch, it was working just fine when called
with an empty str (str = ""). When I ported this application to use
PostgreSQL 7.3 driver without the "?compatible=7.1", this code produces a
java.lang.NegativeArraySizeException on the prepStatement.setBinaryStream()
line.

FYI, I noted that I had to change OID to BYTEA in my schema for the BLOBs in
order to upgrade from 7.1 to 7.3 compatibility mode, but didn't see anything
regarding TEXT fields (CLOB). I can also add that I tried all the different
7.3 drivers as well as the latest 7.4 dev driver with the exact same error.
Finally, I couldn't find, in the Java 1.3 documentation, anything regarding
the second and third parameters of PreparedStatement.setBinaryStream()
which, to me, can be null and 0 respectively.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Frederic Thomas.