Re: PostgreSQL flamage on Slashdot - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jason Hihn
Subject Re: PostgreSQL flamage on Slashdot
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

Good question.

> Look, the people who use MySQL aren't going to use PostgreSQL.  They're
> looking for a fast, simple database with no DBA requirements,
> which IS NOT
> POSTGRESQL.  Such databases have their niche just as we have ours.

I don't believe that is the case. I think many people are being mislead
through it's frequent mention in the press.

> Our "competitors" are MS SQL, SQLAnywhere, Oracle, and DB2.
> Business-class
> databases.  The tech press likes to focus on MySQL vs. PostgreSQL because
> they haven't caught up to the idea that an OSS database could
> compete with
> commercial offerings.   When *you* focus on MySQL vs.
> PostgreSQL, YOU ARE
> BUYING IN TO THEIR IGNORANCE, and helping the press
> compartmentalize Postgres
> as an alternative to MySQL.

The two share the same development style (open source). Unfortunately, those
who don't already know, read these articles and get the wrong impressions. I
know Postgres is more appropriately compared to Oracle, but they don't. If
they see all the MySQL press and then see how bad it is as a DB, they will
probably assume that Postgres falls into the same category.

And that is the key. That's why it's not enough already - Because newbies
often rely on publicity to make decisions for them. That's why we have the
advocacy group.

And sir, when I "buy into their ignorance" it is only to grow the dichotomy
of the two. Maybe I am wrong, maybe we shouldn't have a MySQL separation
effort. Maybe we should just let ourselves be lumped in with them. *Shudder*
I think not. Therefore we must engage in these "battles" against MySQL. I
think we'd be worse off not fighting them.

We could go on battling away against MS SQL, Oracle, DB2, but people will
still ask "How does it compare to MySQL?" That will be the case for everyone
who works with DBs as a hobby and not professionally.