Re: One or more processor ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jason Hihn
Subject Re: One or more processor ?
Date
List pgsql-performance

You need to be able to paralellize the algorithm. Even so, a 99%
paralelizable algorithm over 2 cpus is only 50% faster than 1 cpu. So choose
your poison: 2 processes @100% in 1tu or 1 process at 150% at .66tu (tu=time
unit). This ofcourse is over simplification. I don't think 99% is reasonable
in query processing (though it can depend on the query) so I expect the 2
connection method to be better, unless you only ever have 1 connection.