Re: creating an index on a function - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Nick Fankhauser
Subject Re: creating an index on a function
Date
List pgsql-sql
Tom, Brent-

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I now understand why it didn't work and
what I need to change about my approach.

> This raises a subtle point that you'd better think about before you go
> too far in this direction: truncating a timestamp to date is not a very
> well-defined operation, because it depends on the timezone setting.

That's a good point. Fortunately, in this specific application the events
are selected by location as a part of the same operation, so I *think* I'll
be OK- However, there are some other application functions I'm contemplating
for the future which would really get mangled if I lost my TZ information.

Regards,

-Nick