Re: New User - options and other "get going" questions. - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Nick Fankhauser
Subject Re: New User - options and other "get going" questions.
Date
List pgsql-admin
Bob-

I'm pasting in a chunk from some of my local documentation for our system.
In our case, we don't touch the default, but rather set up some new
locations, but you may want to do something similar, and the description of
the process may help if you still want to change the default location. The
bits in parentheses are examples of the commands that work on our system-
you'll want to substitute your own directories and database names of course.

1)If an initdb was not done by the package install, you may have to do it:
(su; su - postgres; initdb)
2)Create the directories that you want the database(s) to live in. Make the
directory owner postgres (mkdir /data/staging; chown postgres /data/staging)
3)Define DB data locations as environment variables in
/var/lib/postgres/.profile eg: export PG_STAGING=/data/staging
4)Restart postmaster to pick up the new env variable: /etc/init.d/postgresql
restart
5)Initialize the database location: (su - postgres; initlocation PG_STAGING)
6)Create the database: (createdb staging -D PG_STAGING)

Regards,

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser  nickf@ontko.com  Phone 1.765.935.4283  Fax 1.765.962.9788
Ray Ontko & Co.     Software Consulting Services     http://www.ontko.com/