Re: Encoding passwords - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nick Fankhauser
Subject Re: Encoding passwords
Date
List pgsql-general
> Is there a function out there for pg which allows you to generate
> a random
> number given a seed value?  I'm trying to create a users table
> which would

There is the following:

"select setseed(<new seed value>);"

This sets the seed for the random() function.

However, the approach we use is more like the suggestion from Bruno Wolf
that you received earlier- In our case we use JDBC to pass data between our
application & the database, so we use the java crypt package to encrypt
everything we get before it gets stored or compared to a stored value & then
just compare the hash. I think his suggestion is the best way *if* your
development environment supports something similar.

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser

Business:
nickf@doxpop.com  Phone 1.765.965.7363  Fax 1.765.962.9788