Is there a more elegant way to write this query?... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Nick Fankhauser - Doxpop
Subject Is there a more elegant way to write this query?...
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi-

I'm suffering from a performance problem, but when I look at my query, I'm
not convinced that there isn't a better way to handle this in SQL. -So I'm
seeking advice here before I go to the performance list.

I have three tables- case, actor and actor_case_assignment.

As the names imply, actor_case_assignment contains records that assign an
actor to a case. Actors such as attorneys or judges may have many cases,
while the average actor (we hope) only has one.

What I'm trying to do is link these tables to get back a single row per
actor that shows the actor's name, the number of cases that actor is
assigned to, and if they only have one case, I want the number for that
case. This means I have to do some grouping to get the case count, but I'm
then forced to use an aggregate function like max on the other fields. I
hope there's a better way. Any suggestions?

Here's what I'm using right now:
 select   actor.actor_id,   max(actor.actor_full_name),   max(case_data.case_public_id),   max(case_data.case_id),
count(case_data.case_id)as case_count from   actor,   actor_case_assignment,   case_data where
actor.actor_full_name_uppercaselike upper('martin%')   and actor.actor_id = actor_case_assignment.actor_id   and
case_data.case_id= actor_case_assignment.case_id group by   actor.actor_id order by   max(actor.actor_full_name),
case_countdesc, limit   1000;

Thanks!   -Nick

Nick Fankhauser
   nickf@doxpop.com  Phone 1.765.965.7363  Fax 1.765.962.9788