RE: jdbc, use of nested ResultSet loops.(longish, interesting I hope) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From George Johnson
Subject RE: jdbc, use of nested ResultSet loops.(longish, interesting I hope)
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Matthew(?),

I think you're creating a headache for urself because of the nature of
ResultSets.  It doesn't look like you're in need of updatable, real time
stuff -- which is the idea behind why a ResultSet is so hard to play with in
the first place.  Think about doing the following:  running through each
ResultSet and copying the values into a hashtable or ArrayList or Vector,
then close the ResultSet.  Now you've got a local copy of the information
which you can do just about whatever you want.  Don't worry -- copying the
data is very fast in most cases and the driver is very good at cleaning
itself up, so you won't have "double" the amount of data sitting around.

ArrayList rows = new ArrayList(1000);  *
ResultSet RS = stmt.executeQuery(the_query);
while (RS.next()) {
  ArrayList oneRow = new ArrayList(3);
  oneRow.add(RS.getString("fname"));
  oneRow.add(RS.getString("age"));
  oneRow.add(RS.getString("team"));
  rows.add(oneRow);
}
RS.close();
stmt.close();
con.close();
rows.trimToSize();
etc etc.

* there are other ways of figuring out how many rows you have, since
Collections
are expandable, this just gives an estimate to the underlying class of the
potential size of your ArrayList.

George Johnson

PS:  I  believe there's another more specific mailing list for driver/
     interface implementation questions