RE: [BUGS] Problem with 7.0.3 dump -> 7.1b4 restore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rainer Mager
Subject RE: [BUGS] Problem with 7.0.3 dump -> 7.1b4 restore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,
I'm trying to see if I can patch this bug myself because we are under some
time constraints. Can anyone give me a tip regarding where in the postgres
source the internal UTF-8 code is converted during a dump?
I believe that the character 0xAD is a ASCII character that looks like a
dash. According to the UTF-8 spec, anything over 0x7F requires another byte
with it (which, I think, means that you should never see the 0xAD character
by itself in a postgres dump, but I am seeing this). So, I'm guessing that
some piece of the UTF-8 conversion routine is a bit off.
Any tips on where to start? I would try to hack a fix by searching for the
offending character in the dump and replacing it with  a normal dash but
unfortunately 0xAD is a valid byte when paired with other bytes and these
also exist in our dump.

--Rainer