Add Primary Key to a Table - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Haddon
Subject Add Primary Key to a Table
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to use the ALTER TABLE command to add a primary key to a table.

The command I am using is:

ALTER TABLE "agency_contact_info" ADD CONSTRAINT "agency_contact_info_pkey"
PRIMARY KEY ("id");

I get a message saying "ALTER TABLE / ADD CONSTRAINT not implemented for
that constraint type". Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

The reason I am trying to do this is that I want to split a table with a
large number of fields up into a few tables with a sub-set of fields from
the original table, linked by FOREIGN KEY on "id". I had thought the best
way to do this was to use SELECT INTO and then try to alter the tables to
include PRIMARY and FOREIGN keys where applicable. Is there a better way to
do this?

Thanks, Tom

Tom Haddon
IT Director