Re: Encoding - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Ryan Chambers
Subject Re: Encoding
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

I've had problems like this too, but it was an OS issue. Basically, the default character set for Solaris is ASCII, but our data was all ISO-8859-1. This was causing the ? corruptions that you mention.

This was solved by adding the following commands to the shell script I use to run the java application:

LC_CTYPE=iso_8859_1

export LC_CTYPE

I don't know if this can be of any use to you, though. Good luck.

Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-jdbc-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-jdbc-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of Thomas De Vos
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 9:49 AM
To: ThomasDeVos@it-enterprise.co.uk; pgsql-jdbc-owner@postgresql.org
Cc: pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] Encoding

Hiya,

The problem seems to be solved. Added debugging information in the Postgres Driver and at the end after several tests I was able to conclude that it didn't has anything to do with the driver.
So I wrote a few sample apps. (reading - writing from file with extended character set in it) and it was the BlackDown JVM who behaves very strange and also the Sun's JVM seems to behave very strange and translate (converts) these characters into "?".
Only the IBM's JVM seems to work fine.

The OS is Debian Linux with Blackdown JVM who gave me a few nights without rest!!!!

Thomas De Vos

[Thomas De Vos]  -----Original Message-----