RE: [GENERAL] 50 MB Table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Snow
Subject RE: [GENERAL] 50 MB Table
Date
List pgsql-general
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it may be slightly faster to use regular
expressions for this type of application.  Instead of doing
(WHERE string LIKE '%MAIN%') you would use (WHERE string ~ 'MAIN').  Or
perhaps the difference in speed would be negligible?

Also, I believe there there would be a good case for including a new type of
index, for strings, which would be some kind of tree structure, based on the
first N characters of the string?  Where the first branch of the tree is the
first character, second brand would be the second character, and so on.
Similar to a binary tree I guess.  So that searches of type
(WHERE string LIKE 'MAIN%') would benefit greatly on large tables.

Andrew.