RE: Re: Re: "--tuning" compile and runtime option (?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Darren King
Subject RE: Re: Re: "--tuning" compile and runtime option (?)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I can't see how any configure option would be faster or
> better than the existing command line /config file parameters
> -- it would only serve to make things harder to deal with IMHO.
> "Tuning" PostgreSQL is pretty simple, and is explained pretty
> well throughout the manual (especially in the section titled
> "Understanding Performance"). We have -S -B and the fsync
> options, <Austin Powers Voice> That's about it.. </Austin Powers
> Voice> --- right?
> All are explained in the manual and are as easy to use as anyone could
> ask...  Any OS tuning should be left up to the administrator
> as that's what administrators are for :-)

Someday, maybe other parameters (such as some of the optimizer's default
values) will be configurable/changable on the fly.  Would seem silly to
have to stop/start the server to change those.

Just an example, I'm sure there are other internal values that admins
would like to tweak without recompiling or restarting.  Would be much
nicer to login as the superuser to do it rather than shut down my site.

darrenk