FW: URGENT: pgsql on the web server - memory problems.... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nikolay Mijaylov
Subject FW: URGENT: pgsql on the web server - memory problems....
Date
List pgsql-general

The reboots are for hardware upgrades!
"http://www.nmmm.nu"; < nmmm@nmmm.nu >

-----Original Message-----
From: Nikolay Mijaylov [mailto:nmmm@nmmm.nu]
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 1:28 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: URGENT: pgsql on the web server - memory problems....

Hi all
I;m not sure how to explain this

we have a web server with several clients which uses PostgreSQL. Currently v
ersion 7.0.2

the server is linux machine with 64MB RAM and 200 MB swap on the disk. One H
DD partition with free disk space about 1.5 GB.

i started the server with:
postmaster -N 64 -B 256

Unfortunately one of our clients runs wery big database and very big (fuckin
' strange complex) queries using PHP.

The problem is that PHP is auto killing after a while (1-2 min), but the pos
tgres backend process stay (and works about 2 or many more hours). Soon all
Linux is filled with 64 postgres processes, free memory is 0 and Linux, free
ze :)

These queries freeze our computer and it stops responding. The only way we c
an do is to press "reset" button.

My question is : is there a way to limit the memory (and CPU time) used by p
ostgres processes by our clients. Can we make auto kill like in PHP?

I play with ulimit and think it is not a such a good idea....
For a moment I stop this client and do

postmaster -N 24 -B 64

Any Suggestions?

Thank you