Re: Duplicate indexes found in the postgres Database - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Chris White
Subject Re: Duplicate indexes found in the postgres Database
Date
List pgsql-admin
How do I look at the catalogs and which ones do I need to look at?

No we haven't seen any system crashes, but people have reported that the
tables that are duplicated are possibly missing some data.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2003 9:31 AM
To: Chris White
Cc: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Duplicate indexes found in the postgres Database

"Chris White" <cjwhite@cisco.com> writes:
> While interrogating the table information for our database, I notice that
> some tables (i.e. gui_config, vm_mailbox, vm_message) have duplicate
> entries. Does anybody know why this would occur and is it a problem?

Probably it is :-(.  You'll need to dig into the underlying catalogs
(everything you showed us are views, and joined ones at that) to see
what the apparent duplicates are coming from.

Way back when, it used to be possible for this symptom to arise from
multiple pg_shadow entries with the same usesysid; but that should not
happen now that there's a unique index on usesysid.

Have you had any system crashes recently?

            regards, tom lane