Re: (Urgent) Regarding double byte support - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kallol Nandi
Subject Re: (Urgent) Regarding double byte support
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Tino,

The initdb has created a database cluster with default encoding as
SQL_ASCII.
I have created a database in this data directory with UNICODE encoding using
the command :
createdb -E UNICODE dbname.

I created a table in the database with a varchar field.
But when I try to insert japanese characters in the field i get the
following error :

i>?insert into ttable values('a?ScYYa,%a?>');
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "i>?insert"

What is the problem here. Is it the installation? Any pointers will be
highly appreciated.

One more thing :
In all documentations that I find it is mentioned that to enable multibyte
you have to run the following command

./configure --enable-multibyte='encoding'

But configure file itself is not there.

Can you send me the detailed instructions.
As mentioned earlier has it do with some config file or the installation
procedure.

Thanks and Regards,
Kallol.