Handling NULL dates in "copy from" statement - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tim Nelson
Subject Handling NULL dates in "copy from" statement
Date
Re: Handling NULL dates in "copy from" statement
List pgsql-general
Is there a way to handle NULL date fields
that I am trying to import from another database?

ex:

...for a table with a single date field that allows NULL...

echo "12/31/2000" | psql -c "copy date_tab from stdin using delimiters '|' "
db_name

...works, but if I use a blank date...

echo "" | psql -c "copy date_tab from stdin using delimiters '|' " db_name

...it fails with "Bad date external representation"...

I've tried replacing the empty string with "NULL" and adding " with null as
'' " to no avail.

Any ideas?  Thanks.  Tim