Re: Misplaced modifier in Postgresql license - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Welty
Subject Re: Misplaced modifier in Postgresql license
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue,  2 Dec 2003 03:22:34 -0000 greg@turnstep.com wrote:
> I hope that the BSD people will reconsider their move and put PostgreSQL
> back on the CD, without a license change.

this is unlikely. i think the current situation is effectively a standoff.

> The existing one is more than
> strong enough to survive any legal challenge based on the "misplaced modifier."

as i said in my own posting on this subject, Theo De Raadt consulted with
IP attorneys on this subject and was advised that the misplaced modifier
is a serious enough issue that he should pull PostgreSQL from the OpenBSD
distribution. given the reluctance to change the PostgreSQL license, i think
that the situation is what it is. i certainly have no plan to try to persuade
Theo to change his mind ("Bullwinkle, that trick never works!").

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net