Re: Firebird and PostgreSQL at the DB Corral. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Ganainm
Subject Re: Firebird and PostgreSQL at the DB Corral.
Date
List pgsql-general
kleptog@svana.org says...

> A partial index is a index on a subset of a table. The case I can think of
> is a list of transactions, some of which are yet to be billed. They have a
> BillID field which is NULL. since this is the recent set it is queried quite
> often, so you can build an index like:

> CREATE INDEX x ON table ( customerid ) WHERE billid IS NULL

> Now an index can be used on customer when searching for only unbilled things
> whereas normally it would also have to search for all historical things as
> well.

> So, you get the benefit of a smaller index that is more useful to boot.

Hmmm... this is kinda like the Oracle thing where tables can be
partitioned? Sort of?

Paul...

--

plinehan  x__AT__x  yahoo  x__DOT__x  com

C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

Please do not top-post.