Re: COMPUTED BY fields or equivalent? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Paul Ganainm
Subject Re: COMPUTED BY fields or equivalent?
Date
List pgsql-novice
tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us says...

> > I use Interbase (starting on PostgreSQL) which has a concept of
> >   Full_Name  VARCHAR(30) COMPUTED BY(First_Name || ' ' || Last_Name)

> You could do that with a view (if you don't want the derived field to be
> physically stored on disk) or with a trigger (if you do).

Yes, indeed - and both of these solutions would work perfectly fine with
Interbase/Firebird.

I was just wondering if PostgreSQL implemented a COMPUTED BY feature or
equivalent (as I said, I would also be curious about other RDBMS's).

Thanks for your input so far.

Paul...

--

plinehan  x__AT__x  yahoo  x__DOT__x  com

C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

Please do not top-post.