RE: Better performance no-throw conversion? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From ldh@laurent-hasson.com
Subject RE: Better performance no-throw conversion?
Date
List pgsql-performance

planto add such a feature?

> There is not anybody working on that AFAIK.  It seems like it'd have
> to be done on a case-by-case basis, which makes it awfully tedious.
>
> Do you just mean a separate function for each data type? I use similar functions (without a default value though) to
ensurethat values extracted from jsonb keys can be used as needed. Sanitizing the data on input is a long term goal,
butnot possible immediately.

> Is there any documentation on the impact of many many exception blocks? That is, if such a cast function is used on a
datasetof 1 million rows, what overhead does that exception incur? Is it only when there is an exception or is it on
everyrow?

Hello Michael,

There was a recent thread (Big Performance drop of Exceptions in UDFs between V11.2 and 13.4) that I started a few
weeksback where it was identified that the exception block in the function I posted would cause a rough 3x-5x
performanceoverhead for exception handling and was as expected. I identified a separate issue with the performance
plummeting100x on certain Windows builds, but that's a separate issue.

Thank you,
Laurent.