checkpoint process use too much memory - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From jian xu
Subject checkpoint process use too much memory
Date
List pgsql-admin

Hello,

            My pg version is 10.3, last week my user got error :

OperationalError: (psycopg2.OperationalError) could not fork new process for connection: Cannot allocate memory
could not fork new process for connection: Cannot allocate memory

when I checked the database, I found checkpoint process used too much memory, htop showed
VIRT: 171GB
RES: 171GB
SHR:4176MB
MEM%: 70%
Command: Posgres: checkpointer process

The postgresq.conf is
Shared_buffers = 4GB
Work_mem = 128MB
Maintenance_work_mem = 2GB
Wal_level = replica
Wal_buffer = 16MB
Checkpoint_completion_target = 0.7

How can I troubleshooting this error? Why checkpoint process used so much memory? it sounds like a memory leak issue in checkpointer process.
Thanks for your help!
James