BLOBs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dustin Sallings
Subject BLOBs
Date
List pgsql-general
    Hey, I never saw a follow-up on any of the BLOB questions, so I thought
I'd throw them in here again:

    Is there a way to actually *delete* a BLOB?

    Is anyone working on BLOBs?

    Last time I tried to use it, it seemed to store each BLOB in a file by
itself (two files?) in the middle of my data directory, which seems like a very
bad thing IMO.  I also couldn't find any documented way of removing them, and
simply deleting the file(s) caused my vacuum to fail.  I'd really like to use
BLOBs instead of nasty MIME encoding of large images, but I'd definitely need
to be able to delete, and it'd be nice if I wouldn't fill up that one directory
with them.  If nobody is working on BLOBs, it might be fun to find a way to
implement another storage mechanism, possibly a single file (group of files) to
store the BLOB, or a directory hierarchy.

    TIA.

--
SA, software.net         My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>