Re: [Bug] Logical Replication failing if the DateStyle is different in Publisher & Subscriber - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Japin Li
Subject Re: [Bug] Logical Replication failing if the DateStyle is different in Publisher & Subscriber
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 at 08:26, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 11:18 PM Japin Li <japinli@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> How it breaks?
>
> I don't know the real case but for example, if an application gets
> changes via pg_recvlogical with a decoding plugin (say wal2json) from
> the database whose DateStyle setting is "SQL, MDY", it expects that
> the date values in the streamed data are in the style of "ISO, MDY".
> But with this change, it will get date values in the style of "ISO"
> which could lead to a parse error in the application.
>
>>  The user also can specify the "options" to get date data
>> in the style which they are wanted. Right?
>
> Right. But doesn't it mean breaking the compatibility?

Yeah, it might be break the compatibility.

In conclusion, this bug has two ways to fix.

In conclusion, this bug has two ways to fix.

1. Set the parameters on publisher, this might be break the compatibility.
2. Set the parameters on subscriber. In my first patch, I try to set the
   parameters after establish the connection, it will lead more network
   round trips. We can set the parameters when connecting the walsender
   using "options".

For the second way, should we set the parameters same as subscriber or
use the parameters (e.g. datestyle = "ISO") likes postgres_fdw
set_transmission_modes()?

Any thoughts?

--
Regrads,