Re: PL/java? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Knight
Subject Re: PL/java?
Date
List pgsql-general
Python is a great language too. For scripts, I tend to write more python
scripts than perl these days, simply because python better suits my needs
and the base class library seems larger than perl's after install,
not that adding libs aren't easy. But I can write compact scripts without
cryptoblinding the user reading the script...

Zope is quite powerful too. But Zope still has a long way to travel until
it can make it to the Enterprise arena. I know a lot of the Zope developers,
and zope.org specifically gets lots of hits, but it's not getting nearly
as many as a Bankofamerica.com would get.

-Knight

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of Adam Manock
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 4:35 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PL/java?

After having seen this Perl / Java debate go back and forth...
I can't help myself...

<RANT>
The answer is Python !!!
For the best middleware you're ever likely to integrate with Postgresql :
http://www.zope.org

To see its "enterprise scalability":
http://www.zope.org/About

To see it taking LOTS of hits:
http://ns1.zope.org:82/

To see it NOT using much memory at all:
http://ns1.zope.org:82/cgi-bin/zope-track.pl
(this one loads kinda slow, maybe cause it's done in Perl?)
</RANT>

The real point here is that programmers are religious about their choice of
language,
and highly resistant to changing, which is why Postgres supports so many
languages!

I happen to prefer python, but that's just me. http://www.python.org if
you're curious

Adam

At 06:21 AM 9/4/01, you wrote:
>Hi Alex,
>
>Saying that mod_perl is slower than any java apps is purely marketing
>for java. An other guy told me that one day, I just bench it to show him
>how java developper just talk marketing. So the result was that with small
>users the performance was the same and with many user mod_perl is
>really speediest. Secondly mod_perl doesn't crash the system, under Linux
>using Java is a waste of time and a leak of memory ! Marketing is probably
>why daniel talk about Win$
>
>When first Java was out it was called the "Perl killer", so after many
years
>Perl is most uses than Java, ask you why ???
>
>For your other words what you do in Java can be done in perl more quickly
>more efficiently and with writing many less lines !
>
>An other example is the Oracle XML/SQL Servlet that it was plan to use
>in my company. After hearing too many marketing words I write the same
>in perl in 3 days and extend the possibility with no limits. Now they're
using
>Perl, ask you why ? This is use in the entreprise commercial application
that
>I think you call entreprise level !
>
>At this time Perl is the only really portable language over any OS.
>
>In my opinion PL/Java is purely a waste of time but some have time so why
>not !
>
>Sorry but I can not let you say words like that, we are not newbe :-(
>
>In your way I can tell you that before using Perl I also preach for Java
:-)
>But
>after rewritten many time the same apps with the differents versions of
Java