Re: PL/java? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Knight
Subject Re: PL/java?
Date
List pgsql-general
The problem with this discussion on Java versus Pick_Your_Favorite_Skript
ing_Language is that many of the people participating don't have experience
with Java, or even understand Java's place in the programming world. I
don't look at this discussion as a flame war, but as a good thread about
the practicality of adding Java support to PostgreSQL.

Java's strengths have proven to be for server-side J2EE based applications
(not _really_ for pure java server applications like a database server).
Yes, there are java apps/servers that have slipped through and are very
powerful but for the most part, tend to suck(NetBeans for example, is fairly
impressive if you look closely at some of the capabilities is has... like
the speed of the window refresh is NEARLY that of a native app). Something
like PostgreSQL will ALWAYS be faster built under something like C and
platform
specific assembly.

So really, you can't base the entire basis of a programming language based
on
the purpose of an entirely different language. For example, have you ever
developed "cgi" applications using C? A long long time ago, _I_ did. It was
a mess, and it still is a mess. Wouldn't that say something about C's
likeliness to not be meant for cgi? Let's compare apples and apples from now
on...

I would also be very interested to see some "negative" comments from people
who _have_ had enough experience developing j2ee and general java, versus
"negative" comments from people who've heard about java. No offense, let's
just not cloud the discussion with imaginary facts.

-Knight