Select Query Performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ricky Prasla
Subject Select Query Performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi,
  I am running Postgresql 7.2.3 on a linux Qube with 256 RAM. I have a tabe
with about 100,000 records. The table has a postgis geometry column. I have
a GIST index on the table on the geometry column. Here are my questions:
1)When I do a spatial select query on the geometry column in this table it
takes a few seconds. What more can I do in terms of the Postgresql
configuration or query tuning besides adding the GIST index?

Here's a sample query I make:

Select [column] from [table_name] where [spatial_column] && [the geometry
object];

2)Also, I execute this query over the web. If there are mltiple select
queries then I have to execute one get its reultset and then send the other
one. Is there a faster way to execute multiple select queries over the web?

Thanks in advance.

Riyaz