RE: [GENERAL] too many open files by postgresql backends - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Graeme Merrall
Subject RE: [GENERAL] too many open files by postgresql backends
Date
List pgsql-general

> This is really an OS question, but I'm posting here as it is caused by
> pgsql backends and I suspect some of you have already dealt with it...
>
> My combination of apache and postgresql is quickly exceeding the
> maximum number of open files (4096) under linux RH6.1.  In digging
> around for how to up that number, I did find this article:
>
>     http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/LDP/LG/issue37/tag/4.html
>
> It seems to suggest that you can up the maximum number of files at any
> time by doing the following:
>
>     root# echo 10000 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
>
> Could this possibly be true?  I was expecting to have to recompile the
> kernel, but would be oh-so-pleased if it were that easy.

From memory you need to recompile the kernel to increase the number of 'file
descriptors' as oppose to the number of files opened.
What's the diff? No idea :) Unless of course they've moved this out of the
kernel into proc which I doubt.
Have a poke around for info on file descriptors.

Cheers,
 Graeme