RE: PostgreSQL 10.20 crashes / Antivirus - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas, Richard
Subject RE: PostgreSQL 10.20 crashes / Antivirus
Date
List pgsql-general
Adrian (all),

Thanks for your suggestions. Running the equivalent pg_dump commands at the command line instead of in a script works
fineand generates no errors/warnings/McAfee messages in the Windows Event Viewer or on stdout/stderr. (Most days the
backupscript itself completes running multiple pg_dump without problem). I too suspect McAfee of causing the problem -
evenif it isn't consciously taking any action, it must be processing all file I/O accesses in order to be able to
filterwhich ones it should do virus scanning on. Unfortunately it is a very painful process for me to get our IT to
modifyvirus scanning or report back on AV messages (even if not errors), so any diagnostics I can perform help speed
theprocess. (And unfortunately, my hands are currently tied on having to use an existing AWS EC2 Windows Server, much
asI would prefer to use a Linux system or a cloud-based PaaS.)

Richard

> > Adrian Klaver wrote:

> >> Why not?
> >>
> >> I would think the whole C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\10\bin\ would be
> >> excluded.
> >
> > I was following the instructions here:
> >

> > I am not particularly familiar with how our McAfee is configured or
> > operates (all under control of our IT, including it seems access to
> > many of the logs). With the executable postgres.exe, they have
> > specified that in McAfee as an executable not to include in "on-access
> > scanning" (wherever the executable lives). This differs from the file
> > read/write scanning where the folders to exclude are specified. I have
> > put in a request earlier today to add exclusions for pg_dump.exe;
> > maybe I'll hear back from IT in a day or so ;-(
>
> That link also has:
>
> "Specific issues have also been reported with McAfee and Panda anti-virus
> software and NetLimiter network monitoring software. While some people do
> have PostgreSQL working with these software packages, there is no specific or
> even recommend solutions that have not worked in some cases, so the issues
> would appear to be installation specific, sometimes even requiring
> uninstallation. "
>
> Now the last edit to the page was 2013 so not sure how relevant the above is
> anymore. Also, I don't use Windows anymore(other then occasionally working
> on peoples machines) so I am not the best person to comment on current
> reality. Still the Postgres process seems to be killed by an external program and
> my suspicion is that the AV software is involved. Looks like this is something the
> Sys admins are going to have to look into via the tools and files they have
> access to.
At Atkins - member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, we work flexible hours around the world. Although I have sent this email
ata time convenient for me, I don't expect you to respond until it works for you.

NOTICE – This email message and any attachments may contain information or material that is confidential, privileged,
and/orsubject to copyright or other rights. Any unauthorized viewing, disclosure, retransmission, dissemination, or
otheruse of or reliance on this message or anything contained therein is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If
youbelieve you may have received this message in error, kindly inform the sender by return email and delete this
messagefrom your system. Thank you.