RE: PostgreSQL 10.20 crashes / Antivirus - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas, Richard
Subject RE: PostgreSQL 10.20 crashes / Antivirus
Date
Re: PostgreSQL 10.20 crashes / Antivirus  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
List pgsql-general
Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 4/20/22 01:06, Thomas, Richard wrote:
> > The command used in a PowerShell script (run with Windows task scheduler)
> to dump each database should evaluate to:
> >
> > "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\10\bin\pg_dump.exe" -b -v -F c -d $dbName
> > -h localhost -p 6488 -U backup_su -f $backupFile 2`>`&1 | Out-File
> > $pgdumpLogFile
>
> Do you have large objects(blobs) in the database?

No, but do have PostGIS geometries in almost all tables.

> > - pg_dump.exe executable is not excluded from McAfee on-access
> > scanning (although as recommended postgres.exe is)
>
> Why not?
>
> I would think the whole C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\10\bin\ would be
> excluded.

I was following the instructions here:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Running_%26_Installing_PostgreSQL_On_Native_Windows#Antivirus_software
I am not particularly familiar with how our McAfee is configured or operates (all under control of our IT, including it
seemsaccess to many of the logs). With the executable postgres.exe, they have specified that in McAfee as an executable
notto include in "on-access scanning" (wherever the executable lives). This differs from the file read/write scanning
wherethe folders to exclude are specified. I have put in a request earlier today to add exclusions for pg_dump.exe;
maybeI'll hear back from IT in a day or so ;-(

> What does the Windows event log show?

Only events:
- Info: "The Windows Error Reporting Service service entered the running state" (goes into a stopped state 2 minutes
later)
- (Error event messages generated by my PowerShell script)

Not sure if WER is actually writing data somewhere (none of the "*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive"
folderson the server have any data from the last 2 years)

> Same for the A/V software log.

I can't find much separate McAfee log information beyond the last hour in "Endpoint Security" app. Previously (before I
gotthe PostgreSQL backup PowerShell script removed from scanning, McAfee used to put messages in the Windows Event
Viewerreporting an error that it was a violating one of its rules, but it would allow the operation to continue (no
longerget that).

Richard
At Atkins - member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, we work flexible hours around the world. Although I have sent this email
ata time convenient for me, I don't expect you to respond until it works for you.

NOTICE – This email message and any attachments may contain information or material that is confidential, privileged,
and/orsubject to copyright or other rights. Any unauthorized viewing, disclosure, retransmission, dissemination, or
otheruse of or reliance on this message or anything contained therein is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If
youbelieve you may have received this message in error, kindly inform the sender by return email and delete this
messagefrom your system. Thank you.