Re: transactions and cursors...... - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Arguile
Subject Re: transactions and cursors......
Date
List pgsql-admin
Chris Pesko writes:
> Can I put transactions and cursors into functions?  As soon as I
> put BEGIN;
> and COMMIT; wrapping an insert statement within a function, I get
> errors.  Do these programs need to reside outside of the database?

Pg doesn't supported nested transactions or save points (yet). So you can't
have transactional control inside plpgsql functions.

Cursors will depend on what version you're running. See chapter 23.7 of the
7.2 documentation for using cursors inside functions.

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/plpgsql-cursors.
html