Re: Adding RAM: seeking advice & warnings of hidden "gotchas" - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Matt Clark
Subject Re: Adding RAM: seeking advice & warnings of hidden "gotchas"
Date
List pgsql-performance
If you have 3 1.5GB tables then you might as well go for 4GB while you're at
it.  Make sure you've got a bigmem kernel either running or available, and
boost effective_cache_size by whatever amount you increase the RAM by.  We
run a Quad Xeon/4GB server on Redhat 7.3 and it's solid as a rock.

There is no way I know of to get indexes preferentially cached over data
though.

Matt