Re: reindex/vacuum locking/performance? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Matt Clark
Subject Re: reindex/vacuum locking/performance?
Date
List pgsql-performance
> Also, if you find that you need to run VACUUM FULL often, then
> you need to
> raise your max_fsm_pages.

Yes and no.  If it's run often enough then the number of tracked pages
shouldn't need to be raised, but then again...

...max_fsm_pages should be raised anyway.  I'm about to reclaim a Pentium
166 w/ 64MB of RAM from a friend I lent it to _many_ years ago, and I
suspect PG would run happily on it as configured by default.  Set it to at
least 50,000 I say.  What do you have to lose, I mean if they're not free
then they're not tracked in the FSM right?

Of course if anyone knows a reason _not_ to raise it then I'm all ears!

Matt