Re: Current transaction ID? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve - DND
Subject Re: Current transaction ID?
Date
List pgsql-general
> > Let's pretend I don't know how to do that. :) Do you have a
> link to a page
> > in the manual that describes this process, or can you give me a quick
> > runthrough of what you're talking about?
>
> Every row has an invisible xmin/xmax columns that represent the xid of
> the row inserted, updated, or deleted.  Why do you need to know the xid
> is a better question.

Hmm...not quite what I was hoping for. I'm looking to add the ability to my
auditing scripts to know what happened in a given transaction. Right now,
it's just table based, so while it still logs all of the changes, it does it
on a per table basis, not associating changes on two tables as being part of
the same action.

I can currently guess as to what was changed at one time by using the
current user that's recorded, and the time at which the changes occurred,
but it's not foolproof.

Steve