Re: Triggers, Stored Procedures, PHP. was: Re: PostgreSQL Advocacy, Thoughts and Comments - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rod K
Subject Re: Triggers, Stored Procedures, PHP. was: Re: PostgreSQL Advocacy, Thoughts and Comments
Date
List pgsql-general

Paul Thomas wrote:

> On 29/11/2003 12:53 Rod K wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > You are, of course, free to do whatever want. But if you have to use
> > > features of the database to compensate for inadequacies in your
> > > programming language maybe you should be using another language?
> >
> > This doesn't even make sense in the context of Jasons remark.
>
> It makes sense to me. Maybe English is a write-only language after-all ;-)

Jason wrote:
    "I also use Python for standalone interfaces to the data. Why should I not
be able to use the same views and triggers etc  in there
 that I use for my web apps."

Now, how is your comment about "language inadequacies" relevent?  Wanting to
use the RDBMS to handle business logic makes perfect sense, especially when
multiple front ends will be accessing.  This has nothing to do with
perceived "inadequacies."

> > [snip]
> > > Much of the populatity of MySQL seems to stem from PHPs out-of-the-box
> > > support for it. With the MySQL client library license change, this
> > > situation will probably change. There was a long thread about
> > > this earlier
> > > this year. Check the archives.
> > >

> > This is incorrect.  The embedded mysql client library was not
> added until
> > PHP4.0 RC1.
>
> Thats not the impression I got from from reading the thread concening
> MySQL/PHP et al earlier this year. But whatever the exact historical
> details are, the current popularity of MySQL as the back-end for PHP apps
> is well-documented.

It is your choice to believe your impressions of those posts or do the
research.  The popularity of MySQL as a back-end for PHP has to do with the
popularity of MySQL. Not because of "PHPs out-of-the-box support for it."
In fact, the popularity of MySQL as a back-end LED TO the incorporation of
the MySQL client API in PHP.  You've reversed cause and effect.  The
popularity of MySQL stems from the popularity of MySQL among hosting
providers.  The popularity of MySQL among hosting providers comes from the
ease of administration of MySQL vs Postgres in those environments.

> > PHP's popularity existed long before this.  The real culprit
> > causing the popularity of MySQL was it's ubiquity among hosting
> providers
> > and the virtual non-existence of PG in that arena.  If PG had been more
> > friendly to shared hosting environments, perhaps this situation wouldn't
> > have arisen.
>
> I think culprit is a bit strong. If I were in the hosting business a few
> years ago I would probably have made the same decision on the belief that
> most people would not need anything more than a few rudimentary database
> features for which MySQL would suffice.
> > Blaming PHP for this situation (and your other comments) show
> > extreme prejudice.
>
> Where have I blamed PHP for anything? Nowhere.

You quoted yourself and still missed it.  Here it is again:

"Much of the populatity of MySQL seems to stem from PHPs out-of-the-box
support for it."

 As for extreme predudice,
> if you wish to grosely mis-interpret my opinions of the
> limitations of cgi
> scripts in that way, thats fine by me.

Coloring reality with your "opinions" is prejudicial, like it or not.