Re: SERIAL does not ROLLBACK - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From BERG Thomas
Subject Re: SERIAL does not ROLLBACK
Date
List pgsql-novice
I believe this is deliberate on the part of the postgresql programmers.  If
serial numbers could be rolled back, you'd have to block any other
transactions that wanted a new serial number until the first transaction had
committed.

I don't know how to get around this, but I'd think pretty carefully before I
decided to, unless I were an a single-user or extremely few-user scenario.

Berg

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-novice-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-novice-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of Muhammad Shariq
Muzaffar
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 4:21 PM
To: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Cc: pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
Subject: [NOVICE] SERIAL does not ROLLBACK

hi
i have a table named 'mytable' with a column of type
serial. After inserting tuples in a transaction, when
i rollback the transaction the serial number does not
come back to its original value and next time when i
insert the data, it start with the incremented value.
WHY?? how can i make it to come back to its orignial
value in case of rollback.

thanx in advance...