R: Table Partitioning is in 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Paolo Magnoli
Subject R: Table Partitioning is in 8.1
Date
Re: R: Table Partitioning is in 8.1
List pgsql-hackers
Hi, I seem to recall that in Oracle you load into specific partitions
without specifically naming them in insert statements (in other words you
insert into table, the engine redirects data to the corrisponding
partition), I quickly looked at postgresql partitioning and it seems to me
that you need to insert into a specified derived table (unless you set up
rules).
It would be good to have an insert behaviour similar to Oracle by default.
Also I see that the original table is always scanned, partition exclusion
happens only on the derived tables, is this correct?
Regards

paolo