Re: sequences - Mailing list pgsql-general

From K Parker
Subject Re: sequences
Date
Re: Re: sequences
List pgsql-general
Edward Q. Bridges's detailed statement regarding sequences, of which I extract merely the most pessimistic part:

>  begin;
>  insert into foo (A,B) values (B);
>  select currval('foo_A_seq');
>  commit;
>
>  note that the transaction is key, without
> which there's no guarantee that some other
> statement will affect the value of the
> sequence.

quite clearly conflicts what what seems to me to be the plain meaning of the manual page for CREATE SEQUENCE which
states,in part:

  > multiple backends are guaranteed to
  > allocate distinct sequence values

Can some knowledgable person here save a bunch of us plain old user-programmers the trouble of trying to trace down
whatthe source says and just clarify this issue?  Thanks!