- Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Kristian Skrede Gleditsch
Subject
Date
Re:  (AarniRuuhimäki / Megative Tmi / KYMI.com<aarni.ruuhimaki@kymi.com>)
List pgsql-novice
I am trying to install PostgreSQL 7.2 under Redhat

The installation seems to work without problems. However, when I try to
start the program I encounter the following error message

>psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory
>    Is the postmaster running locally
>    and accepting connections on Unix socket '/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432'?

There is no such file in the /tmp/ directory. I am not sure how to find out
if the postmaster is running.

I am not entirely clear whether this inidicates that there is something
wrong with installation or if something else is wrong. I am willing to try
everything, including a complete reinstall.

sincerely,
KSG

Kristian Skrede Gleditsch, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Political Science
University of California, San Diego
La Jolla, CA 92093-0521, USA
Tel: (858) 822 0535, Fax: (858) 534 7130
Email: kgleditsch@ucsd.edu  http://weber.ucsd.edu/~kgledits/