Re: Connection problem (newbie question) - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Paul Kavanagh
Subject Re: Connection problem (newbie question)
Date
List pgsql-admin
Thanks TaChung, and I tried that, but unfortunately the end result was the
same:

$ psql template1
psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Connecting to the port via telnet fails:

$ telnet localhost 5432
Connecting To localhost...Could not open a connection to host on port 5432 :
Connect failed

I tried connecting via pgAdmin 11 (1.4) and got the following error msg:
"Number: -2147467259 Description: Could not connect to the server; Could not
connect to the remote socket"

Finally, I ran 'ps -ef' just after the postmaster successfully started (or
so it says), but there's no sign of any postgresql related processes:

$ ps -ef
     UID     PID    PPID TTY     STIME COMMAND
  pkavan    1868       1 con  11:07:57 /usr/bin/bash
  pkavan    1692    1868 con  21:27:06 /usr/bin/ps

I'm guessing the problems are all interconnected, but I thought the above
info might help..

Thanks in advance,
-Paul