Using PostgreSQL and Access? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Markus Meyer
Subject Using PostgreSQL and Access?
Date
List pgsql-general
Since the PostgreSQL (CygWin) mailing list seems to be quite dead, I'm
posting this one here.

My question is: Has any one successfully used PostgreSQL with Access? I have
read the Accces-FAQ, but I still have major problems: When I create a form
and change / add some data in there, I always get errors, f.e. "Cannot add
duplicate index" (although I did just a minor change), but also other error
messages, or data conversion errors ("Cannot convert XID to int4"). The
error messages change, if I try other settings in ODBC driver, but it
doesn't work either. Also I get the error messages about the unique index
when I add a new record as described in the ODBC FAQ, but I don't agree with
the "workaround" by using a timestamp. That one is really weird, and it
really should work without.

Maybe PostgreSQL (or the ODBC driver) should have a "compatibility" mode to
work with more forgiving frontends. I don't see, why f.e. a boolean column
gives an error, if you do something like "boolean_col = 0".

Access does work well with other databases over ODBC (okay, SQL Server
works, but also MySQL), so why doesn't PostgreSQL?

Regards

Markus