RE: pg_dump to a remote server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gao Jack
Subject RE: pg_dump to a remote server
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Ron,

I have some pg_dump test result, for reference only 😊

--
[ENV]

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4250U CPU @ 1.30GHz  | SSD 120GB |  8G memory
(PostgreSQL) 9.6.8
--
[DATA]
my database has 7.2GB of random data:

postgres=# select pg_size_pretty(pg_database_size('postgres'));
 pg_size_pretty
----------------
 7201 MB
(1 row)

--

[Test Results]

                 command                                              | export_time | output_size
-------------------------------------------------------------+-----------------+------------------
 pg_dump postgres > outfile.sql                        | 16m23s      | 6.3 GB
 pg_dump postgres | gzip > outfile.gz              | 5m27s       | 2.4 GB
 pg_dump -Fc postgres > outfile.dump            | 5m33s       | 2.4 GB
 pg_dump -Fc -Z 9 postgres > outfile.dump     | 11m59s      | 2.4 GB
 pg_dump -Ft postgres > outfile.dump             | 2m43s       | 6.3 GB
 pg_dump -Fd postgres -f dumpdir                    | 5m17s       | 2.4 GB
 pg_dump -Fd -j 4 postgres -f dumpdir             | 2m50s       | 2.4 GB
(7 rows)

--
The smaller the amount of data transmitted over the network, the better.
You could try compressed export method like gzip, -Fc, -Ft, -Fd -j 4(faster).

--
Jack Gao
jackgo73@outlook.com