Re: secure ODBC connection - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Mathew Frank
Subject Re: secure ODBC connection
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Simple way of doing this with almost anything, is to use SSH
- Install SSH on the DB machine
- Install an SSH client on Windows (lots of GUI versions, but there is a
command line one that comes with Cywin.)
- Using the SSH client, log onto the db machine, and forward the db port to
a port on localhost.
    Using ssh.exe from cygwin like this:
    =============DOS PROMPT==============
    C:\>ssh -L 80:192.168.0.254:80 -l root -T 192.168.0.254
    root@192.168.0.254's password:
    stdin: is not a tty
    exit
    'dumb': unknown terminal type.
    Waiting for forwarded connections to terminate...
    The following connections are open:
      #0 listen port 80 for 192.168.0.254 port 80, connect from 127.0.0.1 port
    1987
    (t4 r1 i1/0 o16/0 fd 4/4)
The above example forwards port 80 to localhost port 80, and specifies that
no actual terminal session be started on the server you've logged onto
(forward port only)

- Setup you programs on the windows machine to connect to localhost via ODBC
settings.

Regards,
Mathew
ps - I use Win2k, and have not found an SSH client by default