Re: BLOB performance test FYI - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Joe Shevland
Subject Re: BLOB performance test FYI
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
> PS. Someone raised the PG-Java procedural language the other day.
> When that idea comes to fruition it will be an Incredibly Great
> Thing(TM).... but then I thought about about the separation of
> data and logic, and thought that it's overkill for the database
> to do that. Thoughts? I was thinking maybe a pseudo

... was going to rant about a pseudo-Java language but came to a decision its a pretty tough issue ;)

What about (and I haven't had a good look into the sources referenced the other day on Sourceforge yet, again prolly
treadingold ground):

* Using tools.jar to parse and compile the function source code
* One JVM per PostgreSQL server (configurable via postgresql.conf)
* One classloader per database to keep things clean and separate
* JSP-like compilation - functions compiled when there is a change in the code, or first created. Otherwise remains
memoryresident as a class instance, and/or is created on server startup.
* Communication would be via JNI (Java<->C): the JVM would be assumed to be resident on the same server... unless we'd
wantto look at load balancing, again I keep thinking of the boundaries of what the db should do.
* Mapping between Java and PG types handled by a central thing

Wading further and further into deep water here I think,

Cheers,
Joe