RE: Data Type to store Leading Zero(0) - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Kanninen Anssi EXT
Subject RE: Data Type to store Leading Zero(0)
Date
List pgsql-admin

Hi,

How about storing the actual number in TEXT column and adding a separate INT primary key column where you either copy the number or use it as a generated column?

Or, if you actually want to include the leading zeroes in the primary key, how about two-column primary key like this:

number_of_leading_zeroes  smallint,
the_number                                integer

So, the number "0005556879" would become a primary key (3, 5556879).

Sincerely,

Anssi Kanninen