Re: Index doesn't appear to be working. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Wei Weng
Subject Re: Index doesn't appear to be working.
Date
List pgsql-sql
Is there any plan of making Postgresql collecting statistics a little more
automatically?

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of Bruce Momjian
Sent: Sunday, March 03, 2002 11:03 AM
To: Stephan Szabo
Cc: John Oakes; pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Index doesn't appear to be working.

> > Why isn't it using the index?  This query returns about 5,600 of 10,000
> > records.  It is faster to just do a seq scan because it returns such a
high
> > percentage or records?  Thanks, I appreciate the help!
>
> Usually the seq scan will be faster in this kind of situation.  Because
> the system needs to load the matching rows anyway, it's likely to result
> in reading all the blocks of the table and paying a penalty for seeking
> around the file.

We are getting this "no index use" question over and over again, and I
was wondering why the FAQ item was not answering this question for
people.  It turns out the wording was not very clear and I have updated
this FAQ item to more clearly answer the question.  Seems I kept adding
to that item without restructuring the information:

   <H4><A name="4.8">4.8</A>) My queries are slow or don't make use of   the indexes. Why?</H4>
   Indexes are not automatically used by every query. Indexes are only   used if the table is larger than a minimum
size,and the index   selects only a small percentage of the rows in the table. This is   because the random disk access
causedby an index scan is sometimes   slower than a straight read through the table, or sequential scan.

   <P>To determine if an index should be used, PostgreSQL must have   statistics about the table. These statistics are
collectedusing   <SMALL>VACUUM ANALYZE</SMALL>, or simply <SMALL>ANALYZE</SMALL>.   Using statistics, the optimizer
knowshow many rows are in the   table, and can better determine if indexes should be used.   Statistics are also
valuablein determining optimal join order and   join methods. Statistics collection should be performed periodically
asthe contents of the table change.

   <P>Indexes are normally not used for <SMALL>ORDER BY</SMALL> or to   perform joins. A sequential scan followed by an
explicitsort is   usually faster than an index scan of a large table.</P> However,   <SMALL>LIMIT</SMALL> combined with
<SMALL>ORDERBY</SMALL> often   will use an index because only a small portion of the table is   returned.

   <P>When using wild-card operators such as <SMALL>LIKE</SMALL> or   <I>~</I>, indexes can only be used if the
beginningof the search is   anchored to the start of the string. Therefore, to use indexes,   <SMALL>LIKE</SMALL>
patternsmust not start with <I>%</I>, and   <I>~</I>(regular expression) patterns must start with <I>^</I>.</P>

-- Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610)
Pennsylvania19026

TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command   (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to
majordomo@postgresql.org)